Tuesday, March 23, 2010

101 in 1001--UPDATE

72) Make time for reading fiction: one novel a month. (2/33)

Back in January, when I made my list of 101 things I wanted to accomplish in 1001 days, I was just coming off a blissful winter break and heading back into a 10-credit semester and a 40+-hour job with a new resolution: get back to reading. As an anthropology major, I do spend a lot of my free time reading, but the majority of what I read is either reference material or non-fiction. To lose myself in fiction was once a non-existent luxury but I've resolved to bring back into my life.

And I couldn't be happier about it! Now I read a chapter every night before I go to bed. It's the best. :)

Last month's novel was The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris.


I saw this bright, beautiful blue book in the store and bought it because of the dust jacket's teaser:

"The Unnamed is a dazzling novel about a marriage and a family and the unseen forces of nature and desire that seem to threaten them both. It is the heartbreaking story of a life taken for granted and what happens when that life is abruptly and irrevocably taken away."

Joshua Ferris really did a great job with this book. The story is so well-written and embodies everything I would want to accomplish, were I to ever publish any of my work. (Not going to happen...probably.) The dust jacket didn't lie: it's heartbreaking, but bearable, and there are plenty of moments that call for smiles.

Talk about grace. I've never encountered a story that is this humorous and tragic at the same time. There's a complete seamless-ness about it. Think of your favorite "wallowing in it" movie (mine is currently Love Happens). There are always distinct moments of laughs, and then there are heart-breaking moments, and then heart-warming moments. This book manages to make all of that happen at the same time without any breaks. Color me jealous, Ferris. Mad skills.

That being said...I would recommend this book but with a bit of a disclaimer, because it is tragic, and it is hard. To be honest, my little fiction luxury is supposed to be my way to escape for 30 minutes, and this book didn't really give me that. But it's still a fantastic book and as long as you aren't in a super blue state (like I was, unfortunately!) and reading about a broken family won't dramatically upset you, this will be a good read.

Promise. :) You can check it out here.

Next on the roster:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! They truly make my day. :)