Wednesday, February 24, 2010

101 in 1001 -- UPDATE!

72) Make time for reading fiction: one novel a month. (1/33)

Last month's novel was Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.

 

This book is worth the fuss. If you are a fan of Foer or his contemporary Dave Eggers, or even if you enjoy movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or Everything Is Illuminated, it's safe to say that you'll like this novel. I'm a big fan of reasonable experimentation within what I call antiquated fields; Foer (and Eggers, as well) messes with how the reader sees his words. He inserts images in less than usual ways, plays with page layouts, and even changes up typefaces when the occasion calls for it. I know that when I've written, my words are shaped by more than just what is running through my head--there are also images, both specific and abstract, there are colors, there are sounds. I've always felt limited by using text alone as a creative outlet, because there is so much more going on. Foer's method rang very true for me, and though I can't speak for every reader, I know that I felt much more connected to the story than if I had just been given text by the author.

Next on the roster:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! They truly make my day. :)