Tuesday, January 5, 2010

OFFICE BRAINSTORM

I've been thinking about home offices a lot lately. To be more specific, I've been thinking about home offices that are housed in rooms other than offices, because that's going to be my situation in a few days. I'd like to build a pretty substantial work space, but it has to fit in the living room, both size-wise and style-wise. I keep hearing/reading that a desk in a living room is somehow taboo, but I completely disagree. My living room is where I spend the majority of my time. Whether I'm being productive or being a slob, I'm in that room. My bedroom, on the other hand, is off limits for productive activity, making the idea of putting my office in there an impossibility. (Plus I just don't get it. Bedrooms are for sleeping, and lounging, and being otherwise relaxed.)

My new living room is an 18x13ft rectangle, like such (no balcony, unfortunately):



My thought is to put the sofa in the rough middle of the room, facing and centered against the shorter wall. Behind it and closer to the kitchen will be my dining room table, leaving me with 11-12ft of wall (not to mention the wall opposite, with the window). I'd like to set up some sort of long, skinny desk system there. Lots and lots of work space, but only about 18-23 inches deep.

I keep seeing different versions in my mind, and for some reason, most have a double-desk set up, kind of like this:


DecorPad user Teresa's office
I of course have no need for my desk to have multiple seating options. I just think it could look kind of cool.

I'd also like to have some sort of set-up on the wall for creative...meanderings, shall we say? Inspiration board, etc. If I can't have something like that up, then I definitely want to hang either a couple of larger prints or a gallery-style arrangement of personal photos.

The desk is likely to be black or very dark brown, and in the living room, the walls will be a dark gray and the couch will be an oatmeal color. I'm going to add pops of yellow and dark blue wherever I can. This is very close to where I hope to take the room:


PCH
It's going to be interesting, though. I'm concerned about mixing what are essentially three very distinct zones: living, office and dining. Not sure how I'm going to break them up but still somehow get them to flow/work together...

Signing the lease tomorrow!

 

2 comments:

  1. very nice floor plan! i love that you can go through the walkin to the bathroom - reminds me of carrie's place in SATC.here's an idea i had...hopefully you'll get what i mean :)

    1. place the desk on the long wall so it makes 90 degrees with the long wall, your back facing the window (you looking towards kitchen). u can then hang an inspiration board on the wall space to your right..making that little back corner your office space. you can then put the sofa on the long wall with the tv set up across or vice versa--though if you plan on having a small dining table i would put the sofa on the shorter wall so it doesn't look like all the furniture is on one side of the room.

    is the fireplace infact there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I hadn't thought of that! What a great idea; I like that the office could really be its own space, and I like that I would be facing the room instead of...a wall. :P

    The fireplace may or may not be there, haha. The leasing agent wasn't sure, and I knew I wanted the apartment regardless so I signed. Picking up the keys and taking a look this morning...it will certainly open up some options if it isn't there! I could take it or leave it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! They truly make my day. :)